The storylines are abundant as the Golden State Warriors travel to the Big Apple to take on the New York Knicks in Madison Square Garden on Friday night.
For one, it’s Stephen Curry’s return to New York City, where he lit up MSG for 54 points last season. which had the crowd oohing-and-aahing. He probably will not have a repeat of that performance, but the Knicks and their fans certainly have not forgotten about that night, which accelerated Curry’s path to stardom.
It will also be David Lee’s homecoming, as he played for the Knicks during his first five seasons of his career and made the All-Star team in 2010.
The game itself should be very winnable for the Warriors. The Knicks are dealing with issues both on and off the court, losers of four straight and seven of their last eight, and Raymond Felton’s recent arrest. They are also coming off of a loss to the Heat last night, so they will be both fatigued and demoralized when they play the Warriors.
However, Golden State should not get too comfortable. They have a habit of playing down to their opponents, as shown on Wednesday night when they were blown out by the Bulls.
The simple remedy after such a depressing loss? Win the next game (a.k.a beat up on the Knicks).
Tale of the Tape
- Points per game: 103.0 (10th)
- Field-goal percentage: 45.6 (10th)
- Three-point percentage: 37.7% (7th)
- Defensive field-goal percentage: 43.4% (3rd)
- Rebounds per game: 45.8 (2nd)
- Turnovers: 15.4 (T-27th)
- Points per game: 97.6 (21st)
- Field-goal percentage: 44.4% (19th)
- Three-point percentage: 36.6% (T-10)
- Defensive field-goal percentage: 46.3% (26th)
- Rebounds per game: 40.7 (26th)
- Turnovers: 12.5 (2nd)
Via Warriors.com game notes:
- The Warriors lost for the first time in New York since 2008 last season, winning the previous two at Madison Square Garden (did not play at New York in 2011-12).
- Golden State has taken 15 of the last 20 meetings with New York.
GSW: Festus Ezeli (recovery from right knee surgery) and Nemanja Nedovic (left hamstring strain/right foot inflammation) are out.
NYK: Iman Shumpert (sprained left knee), Adnrea Bargnani (torn ligament, left elbow), and Kenyon Martin (sore left ankle) are out.
GOLDEN STATE (35-23)
- F Andre Iguodala (9.5 PPG)
- F David Lee (18.9 PPG)
- C Andrew Bogut (8.1 PPG)
- G Klay Thompson (17.8 PPG)
- G Stephen Curry (24.2 PPG)
NEW YORK (21-36)
- F Carmelo Anthony (27.9 PPG)
- F J.R. Smith (12.8 PPG)
- C Tyson Chandler (8.7 PPG)
- G Raymond Felton (10.5 PPG)
- G Pablo Prigioni (4.0 PPG)
Tip-off: 5:00 PM PST
Location: Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY