The Golden State Warriors are certainly not in the best of spirits right now, coming off of a deflating loss to the Cavaliers at home on Friday night, which followed a defeat down in L.A. against the Clippers.
Prior those two losses, the Warriors had won five straight, and they will look to get back on the winning track on Sunday night against the Portland Trail Blazers on the road.
This is a pivotal game for the Warriors if they wish to catch the Trail Blazers for the fifth seed in the Western Conference. Golden State, currently in the sixth spot, sits 2.5 games back of Portland.
Like the Warriors, the Blazers are also in a bit of a funk, losers of four of their last five, all on the road. They did beat the Pelicans on Friday night. However, the Blazers will be without LaMarcus Aldridge, who is dealing with a lower back contusion and will not play. Aldridge is one of the shooting big men in the league, and is the Blazers’ best offensive weapon besides Damian Lillard, so his absence will surely noted. Speaking of Lillard, the Warriors will need to slow down the Oakland native, who is averaging 21.1 points per game in just his second season.
Tale of the Tape
- Points per game: 103.4 (11th)
- Field-goal percentage: 45.8% (10th)
- Three-point percentage: 37.7% (6th)
- Defensive field-goal percentage: 43.4% (3rd)
- Rebounds per game: 45.3 (T-3rd)
- Turnovers: 15.2 (27th)
- Points per game: 107.3 (2nd)
- Field-goal percentage: 45.0% (15th)
- Three-point percentage: 37.5% (7th)
- Defensive field-goal percentage: 45.3% (11th)
- Rebounds per game: 46.4 (1st)
- Turnovers: 13.5 (T-7th)
Courtesy of Warriors.com game notes:
- The Blazers are the only remaining opponent the Warriors haven’t played on the road yet.
- The Warriors have won six out of their last eight season series over the Blazers, splitting their series with Portland in 2009-10.
- LaMarcus Aldridge posted his third career 30-point/20-rebound game on 11/23 at Golden State (his second against the Warriors) , totaling 30 points and 21 rebounds setting career-highs in free throws made (16) and free throws attempted (19).
GSW: Festus Ezeli (recovery from right knee surgery) and Nemanja Nedovic (left hamstring strain/right foot inflammation) are out.
LAC: LaMarcus Aldridge (low back contusion), Joel Freeland (right knee sprain) and Mo Williams (right hip strain) are out.
GOLDEN STATE (41-26)
- F Andre Iguodala (9.4 PPG)
- F David Lee (18.5 PPG)
- C Andrew Bogut (7.8 PPG)
- G Klay Thompson (17.9 PPG)
- G Stephen Curry (23.2 PPG)
- F Nicolas Batum (13.0 PPG)
- F Dorell Wright (4.9 PPG)
- C Robin Lopez (10.8 PPG)
- G Wesley Matthews (16.3 PPG)
- G Damian Lillard (21.1 PPG)
Tip-off: 6 PM PST
Location: Moda Center, Portland, OR
Tags: Golden State Warriors