The NBA regular season is winding down, and the Golden State Warriors are still holding their own in the Western Conference, sitting in sixth.
After three days off since their last game, a 28-point walloping of the hapless Jazz, the Warriors return to action on Thursday night when they take on the Denver Nuggets at Oracle Arena.
This is another inferior opponent that the Warriors must take advantage of if they want to clinch a playoff spot and ultimately move up in the standings. Denver, at 33-44, is having a tough season under first-year head coach Brian Shaw. However, the Nuggets did beat the Warriors in their last meeting earlier this season, 123-116 on Jan. 15.
The Warriors have five games left in the regular season, and two of them will be against Nuggets. If they can take care of business against Denver, they may have a shot at moving up to fifth in the West.
Tale of the Tape
- Points per game: 103.6 (10th)
- Field-goal percentage: 46.1% (9th)
- Three-point percentage: 37.8% (5th)
- Defensive field-goal percentage: 43.6% (4th)
- Rebounds per game: 45.3 (2nd)
- Turnovers: 15.0 (T-26th)
- Points per game: 104.1 (9th)
- Field-goal percentage: 44.8% (17th)
- Three-point percentage: 36.3% (15th)
- Defensive field-goal percentage: 45.6% (17th)
- Rebounds per game: 45.2 (5th)
- Turnovers: 15.3 (28th)
Via Warriors.com game notes:
- The Warriors defeated the Nuggets 4-2 in the First Round of the 2013 NBA Playoffs, becoming just the sixth No. 6 seed to upset a No. 3 seed since the First Round expanded to a seven-game series in 2003 and the first since Dallas defeated San Antonio in 2009.
- Denver has taken 13 of the last 18 regular season games against Golden State.
GSW: David Lee (strained right hamstring) and Festus Ezeli (recovery from right knee surgery) are out. Nemanja Nedovic and Ogjnen Kuzmic are on assignment with the Santa Cruz Warriors of the D-League.
DEN: Wilson Chandler (left groin strain), Danilo Gallinari (left knee ACL tear), JJ Hickson (right ACL tear), Ty Lawson (left ankle sprain), Javale McGee (eft tibia stress fracture), Nate Robinson (left ACL sprain) are out.
GOLDEN STATE (48-29)
- F Andre Iguodala (9.3 PPG)
- F Draymond Green (6.1 PPG)
- C Andrew Bogut (7.5 PPG)
- G Klay Thompson (18.4 PPG)
- G Stephen Curry (23.5 PPG)
- F Quincy Miller (4.8 PPG)
- F Kenneth Faried (13.3 PPG)
- C Timofey Mozgov (8.9 PPG)
- G Randy Foye (12.5 PPG)
- G Aaron Brooks (8.8 PPG)
Tip-off: 7:30 PM PST
Location: Oracle Arena, Oakland, CA
Tags: Golden State Warriors