If the Golden State Warriors wind up making the postseason, they will have earned it.
The Warriors are still sitting in sixth in the West, but are just 1.5 games ahead of Mavericks, Grizzlies, and Suns, who are all tied for the seventh seed in this wild, wild West. The margin of error is slim, especially when facing any of those three teams down the stretch.
They will do just that on Tuesday night, as they take on the Mavericks in Dallas in a pretty significant contest. In addition to the aforementioned playoff race, this is a first of a back-to-back for the Warriors, as they play the Spurs on Wednesday. Given the Spurs’ dominance over the Warriors, the Warriors must beat the Mavericks if they want to likely avoid losing three games in a row.
Speaking of which, the Warriors are coming off one of their most disappointing losses of the season — a home loss to the lowly Knicks. The absence of David Lee and Andrew Bogut has really hurt the team, and neither will be available against the Mavericks either. Bogut, in fact, will be out against the Spurs as well.
Regardless, the Warriors have to play with a sense of urgency, because the Mavericks will undoubtedly be playing with desperation, looking to gain some separation from the Suns and Grizzlies.
One bad stretch of games can send the Warriors to the draft lottery in the summer; a win on Tuesday would do wonders to subdue that unimaginable fear.
Tale of the Tape
- Points per game: 103.2 (10th)
- Field-goal percentage: 45.8% (10th)
- Three-point percentage: 37.4% (T-5th)
- Defensive field-goal percentage: 43.5% (4th)
- Rebounds per game: 45.3 (2nd)
- Turnovers: 15.1 (T-25th)
- Points per game: 104.9 (8th)
- Field-goal percentage: 47.3% (5th)
- Three-point percentage: 38.3% (T-3rd)
- Defensive field-goal percentage: 46.4% (24th)
- Rebounds per game: 40.7 (26th)
- Turnovers: 13.3 (T-5th)
Via Warriros.com game notes:
- Golden State hasn’t won three-straight over Dallas in the regular season since a five-game winning streak from 2006-07.
- Dallas has won 10 of its last 12 home games vs. Golden State.
- The Warriors are 2-1 against the Mavericks this season.
GSW: David Lee (strained right hamstring) and Andrew Bogut (pelvis/groin contusion) are TBD… Festus Ezeli (recovery from right knee surgery) is out… Nemanja Nedovic and Ogjnen Kuzmic are on assignment with the Santa Cruz Warriors of the D-League.
GOLDEN STATE (45-28)
- F Andre Iguodala (9.2 PPG)
- F Marreese Speights (5.9 PPG)
- C Jermaine O’Neal (7.6 PPG)
- G Klay Thompson (18.1 PPG)
- G Stephen Curry (23.7 PPG)
- F Shawn Marion (10.5 PPG)
- F Dirk Nowitzki (21.4 PPG)
- C Samuel Dalembert (6.5 PPG)
- G Monta Ellis (18.9 PPG)
- G Jose Calderon (11.5 PPG)
Tip-off: 5:30 PM PST
Location: American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX
Tags: Golden State Warriors