The Golden State Warriors’ regular season will come to a close tonight when they take on the Denver Nuggets on the road, and the only significance of this game will be whether the Warriors end up with 51 or 50 wins in the 2013-2014 campaign.
The Warriors are already locked into the sixth seed in the West, and the Nuggets are out of the playoff race. There may be a fair amount of scoreboard watching going on; if the Thunder beat the Pistons tonight, then Oklahoma City secures the second seed and the Warriors will take on the Clippers in the first round of the playoffs.
As for tonight, Mark Jackson will probably rest most, if not all, of his starters. Andrew Bogut is out indefinitely and may be lost for the playoffs. David Lee just returned from an injury, Andre Iguodala is dealing with knee tendonitis, and Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson could probably use some rest before the postseason. Besides, why risk injury to yet another key player in a meaningless game?
Look for this to be an opportunity for the Warriors’ bench to receive a lot of playing time and get some rhythm going into the playoffs.
Tale of the Tape
- Points per game: 104.1 (10th)
- Field-goal percentage: 46.2% (9th)
- Three-point percentage: 38.0% (T-4th)
- Defensive field-goal percentage: 43.6% (4th)
- Rebounds per game: 45.3 (5th)
- Turnovers: 15.0 (27th)
- Points per game: 104.3 (9th)
- Field-goal percentage: 44.7% (19th)
- Three-point percentage: 36.0% (15th)
- Defensive field-goal percentage: 45.7% (T-15th)
- Rebounds per game: 45.5 (2nd)
- Turnovers: 15.3 (28th)
Via Warriors.com game notes:
- The Warriors defeated the Nuggets 4-2 in the First Round of the 2013 NBA Playoffs, becoming just the sixth No. 6 seed to upset a No. 3 seed since the First Round expanded to a seven-game series in 2003 and the first since Dallas defeated San Antonio in 2009.
- Golden State is seeking just its third series with at least a split in the last 10 seasons against Denver.
- Denver has taken 14 of the last 19 regular season games against Golden State.
GSW: Andre Iguodala (right knee tendinitis) and Jermaine O’Neal (left knee) are to be determined. Andrew Bogut (fractured rib) and Festus Ezeli (recovery from right knee surgery) are out.
Den: Darrell Arthur (left knee strain/contusion) is questionable. Wilson Chandler (left groin strain), Danilo Gallinari (left knee ACL tear), JJ Hickson (right ACL tear), Ty Lawson (left ankle sprain), Javale McGee (left tibia stress fracture), Anthony Randolph (personal reasons) and Nate Robinson (left ACL sprain) are out.
GOLDEN STATE (50-31)
- F Andre Iguodala (9.3 PPG)
- F David Lee (18.2 PPG)
- C Jermaine O’Neal (7.5 PPG)
- G Klay Thompson (18.5 PPG)
- G Stephen Curry (24.0 PPG)
- F Quincy Miller (4.8 PPG)
- F Kenneth Faried (13.6 PPG)
- C Timofey Mozgov (9.3 PPG)
- G Randy Foye (13.0 PPG)
- G Aaron Brooks (8.3 PPG)
Tip-off: 7:30 PM PST
Location: Pepsi Center, Denver, CO
Tags: Golden State Warriors